Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 11, 2010

Short weekly update:

I am really sad to be leaving Sister Samuel. I have so much to learn from here. She is fiery and bold and I love her! With her personality she can get away with committing or slightly rebuking people without them feeling attacked or offended. She knows every single person who works on Temple Square and has developed a wonderful relationship with them. She is filled with love and has made it a goal to make those around her her family, since no one in her family supports her being on a mission. I showed her my pictures from India and Amristar, and we became good friends already. Oh man. I have been a lot quieter this transfer in contacts since there are three of us, and a lot of talking happens. I also found out that my assignment was to the Humanitarian Center, so I would be there 3 days a week. It was amazing taking the tour, and seeing another outlet and possibility of what I am interested in doing for the rest of my life. When the sisters there aren't giving tours, they are helping with the service projects, how fun!

On Thursday I had an amazing contact with this 50ish yr old man, Jimmy Johnson. He was here from Florida with his girlfriend to ski, and asked a lot of questions about what I did and why I was here on a mission. We had a great conversation and our personalities clicked, apparently I reminded him of his daughter who was pre-med and about to go to Italy on her own for a month. I could tell that his girlfriend (who was in a conversation with Sister Samuel and Peets) was getting antsy and wanted to leave, but they were great companions and kept her distracted. (nice work companions!)It wasn't a preachy or overly spiritual conversation, but the thought came into my head like 5 times during the conversation to ask him if he liked to read. As his girlfriend had had about enough and was trying to get Jimmy to come, I asked him the question, to which he responded that he did. I asked him if I could send him a copy of the Book of Mormon to read, since it was why I was on a mission, and read the 2nd to last paragraph in the introduction of the BOM. He had mentioned before that he loved Temple Square because of this warm peaceful feeling he felt here (when he mentioned it I followed your advice, Dad, and identified it as the Holy Ghost) . I promised him that as he read the Book of Mormon he would feel that feeling, the Holy Ghost, and that it is something that could be available to him always. He accepted the book and missionaries happily and left. The Holy Ghost helps us out so much to know what to say to those who are prepared!

I forgot that something available to us as missionaries on Temple Square now is to be able to teach the referrals that we get here (over the phone) until the missionaries come and was sad I didn't ask him. Later on in the night, we were in the South Visitors Center and he approached me and asked me to explain to him about temples. (hooray!) We had a great short lesson, and Sister Peets and Samuel had some wonderful things to say, and he was very receptive and interested. Again, his girlfriend called and wanted to leave, but this time I remembered to extend the invitation to teach him, which he was thrilled about. An hour later I found out I got the clearance to leave to Poland. All I could think about was how excited I was to teach him and see him progress and those others that I was going to call from the referral center. :( Hopefully I will get some updates on how he and the others are doing.

I guess everyone knows that I'm leaving on Monday. It will be crazy but amazing to have a Poland Christmas. I love you so much, thanks for your advice and help in getting me out there. I am so happy to see my Polish district soon! Sister Steadman and I joked when I was delayed (for what we thought would be 2 weeks) that she would get called as my trainer, and 2 months later we'll see what happens. :) It has been uplifting to get her emails, thank you so much Sister Gale!! Thank you family and friends for your letters and prayers, they help more than you could imagine.

-Siostra Stay

No comments:

Post a Comment