Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 21, 2010

Moja Rodzina,

Arriving in Poland: Well you already know that my trip to Poland was an adventure, but it was fun. My luggage got lost at 2 different locations, I'm not quite sure how that worked out, but it made it possible for me to stay in Warsaw for two days which was great.

Pres and Sister Nielson picked me up at midnight and drove me straight to the Sisters' apartment. We got right to work the next day and on Thursday we had Zone Conference so I got to have that training and a little Christmas devotional which was wonderful. I also got to see Sister Steadman and Sister Marshall, hooray!! It was so great to see them, we talked together the wholetime, they seem happy and enthused with the work. I still don't have a MSF card (the missionary credit card) or an interview or orientation.What a crazy mission it has been already, but I love it!

At Zone Conference they delivered my 2nd piece of luggage, it was a Christmas Miracle :) and the Sisters came to get me the next day to bring me to my new area: Katowice!When I got off the plane in Warsaw, Pres Nielson told me I would be going to Katowice and I freaked out. I never finished telling my story about the 2nd Polish tour to you, but the spirit was so strong and helped me speak the language (in Temple Square) and the grandfather said that he was interested and wanted to have the missionaries come to his home. He said we couldn't call him until Febuary though, because he would be out of town until then. I was excited then and told him I would be in Poland in Febuary and would come visit him at his house. I'm sure that he thought I was crazy, but he agreed. The man lives in my area in a city just outside Katowice! I hadn't told this story to Pres Nielson, but I ended up getting called there. Hopefully he is receptive when I actually get to visit him. Miracles!

Dad-- i have been thinking up great names for rock bands for you, inspired my my life in Poland. One is Crusty Socks ( we have a little washer but no dryer, which equals line dried and very crusty socks and towels) and Fire Shower. In the bathtubs there is a little heater built in hanging on the wall with the shower with a hole in it to heat the water. When you turn on the water it sparks and then flames up huge to heat it. You can look through the hole and see the sweet flames.

Yesterday we had a whole day of finding addresses to visit less/non-actives and to give them a christmas card, banana bread, and invite them to church. When you walk in the snow your feet get FREEZING (they don't shovel any walks) but I have been doing the math, and after walking about a mile and a half, you can start feeling your feet again because they are working hard. I also was sitting at a bus stop (in the pitch black at 3:30 pm) and thought of a specific time when I was laying at night sweating on the balcony in Haiti. I remembered storing away how miserable it was to be that hot so I could remember it when I was freezing in Poland. It is COLD here! At the bus stop I also counted how many layers I had on vs my warmth- I had on 8 layers on my top half and that was sufficient, but only 3 pairs of tights, plus socks boots and skirt on the bottom half. That isn't quite enough to stay warm.. :)

The Work: I love being a missionary! We do a lot of "whiteboarding" which is contacting on the street with questions and then you bridge to the gospel (a lot like Temple Square!). I go wholeheartedly and contact and ask people questions, but once they show interest I don't really understand what they say. I can maintain a conversation for about 2 minutes until I look around desperately for someone to come save the contact from my terrible Polish. We got some great numbers and met some really cool people though! One of the investigators, Adam, just accepted a baptismal date two days ago! Well I guess he didn't really accept- we prayed and were about to start the lesson (the sisters were all nervous about asking him about baptism but were planning on it at the end of the lesson) when he spoke up and said "Hey, so I decided that I want to be baptised. Can I do it next Tuesday or is that too soon?" Sister Brown couldn't stop giggling. That is the last day before she leaves home,it will be great. :)

Well I have to go. Oh, I almost forgot, the quote at the top is from Sister Brown. Every single day crazy things happen and she says, sincerely "Its not normally like this." I don't believe her. I fully plan on my mission continuing to be an adventure, and am so excited tobe here. The church is true, live it and share it! Merry Christmas!

-Siostra Stay

No comments:

Post a Comment