Tuesday, December 28, 2010

November 16, 2010

Moja Rodzina,

Well, what a surprise, here I am, in Temple Square! I have received more hugs and hellos than I knew what to do with. For people who haven't heard the story, I found out yesterday that I will be serving in the Temple square mission for 4 weeks, then I will take another IVP test and be off to Poland! I'm excited for the experience, and to learn all of the history. I dropped off my bags, walked to meet my companion, and we went straight to Walmart to buy real food! My companion, Sister Ku, from South Korea, made fun of me for having 3 suitcases, but I made fun of her when we packed up her things (2 suitcases, 2 shopping carts FULL and a huge box) and we both moved into an apartment with 6 other girls... Craziness. It also happened to be one of my roommate's birthdays, so a huge gathering and party was happening. Every Sister that I met yesterday somehow knew that I was going to Poland and were extremely confused as to why I was in temple square, or why I had learned Polish to come to temple square or every possible variation on the story. I felt like I had snuck into a secret club, though everyone was super friendly. I asked Sister Ku how everyone knew about me, and she said "You are in one square block with 200 girls, how do you think they know?"

My whole day was filled with a lot of funny tender mercies, and Sister Ku was a big one of them. Mom, don't worry, one of the things that Sister Ku had me help her move was her medicine ball! She is 27, born in S. Korea and lived since she was 10 in Hawaii and was a convert at 19. She loves rock climbing and hiking, and warned me the first day "I'm sorry, but I'm not super affectionate..." She is more likely to give me a little shove and attitude then to squeal and envelop me in a hug. I love her already. This is her 4th transfer, and I am her first trainee. I foresee some great adventures together.

Today we also got to go to the BYU MOA exhibits on Christ. I know, right? I took the trip back down to Provo this morning, and helped our extremely lost bus driver find his way to BYU and the MOA. We talked the whole way back to SLC about how he is a bike skiing instructor... "There's something following them..." "I want my 2 dollars!" Better Off Dead. I was happy when he got the reference, his mission, and his wife who is investigating the church. It is great to talk to real people, but a new experience to think of ways to be a good missionary without being awkward or super pushy. I feel that people in Utah either are members or have been exposed to the Church many times. I realize I am fine talking about the gospel since that is what I am here doing, but I'm struggling on figuring out the best way to bring it into the conversation. I would love any advice. I still have a lot to learn, and a long way to go.

The art exhibit was great, they had a lot of the altar paintings from Denmark, Mom and Dad, aren't that the paintings you went to see when you were there? Mom, your favorite Garden of Gethsemane picture was there as well. I thought of you, looking at it. There also were a whole bunch of watercolors about the life of Christ. (I'm sorry, but both painters' names have escaped my head)

I still feel like I am just wandering around floating from place to place, I haven't spoken with the mission president yet, and it seems like a different world here with a lot of unspoken expectations. I am so grateful for doing Jr. Miss, I think it has helped me to be a lot more comfortable in this foreign environment. I look forward to the day when I can be an asset to the work here. There are no Sisters who speak Polish here, but they said that there have been a good number visiting lately. I'm not quite sure what the plan is for maintaining my language here... it is very highly emphasized that this is an English-speaking mission, and that is what should be spoken. Every sister who is here with another language is a native from that place, so they already speak it fluently. I will find a way.

I need to learn how to 'pass off' the tours, and then I will also work on doing it in Polish, so I can explain and maybe even lead tours in Polish. It will be good to work towards.

Love,
Siostra Stay

No comments:

Post a Comment